Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Sprained Ankles, the Atonement, and Answered Prayers

Hey everyone! Happy Valentine's Day, and Happy President's Day to all you people in the States today!
This week was full of many adventures and memorable moments. But I'm short on time for emailing today so please bear with me. Okey dokey.
Last Sunday night we were walking home and I stepped really stinkin hard on a giant rock on accident. It sort of hurt but I was like "eh, whatever", and kept walking. Monday it hurt a little bit more, and by Tuesday my whole foot was swollen and throbbing every time I took a step, so I called Sister Pearson and she told me I had to go to the doctor. So we had to cancel all of our afternoon appointments and jump on a bus to Kingston. The doctor thought my foot was broken, so I had to go get about five thousand x-rays done. That took about all day... which is the bad news because we got no work done. The good news is I got a call on Wednesday and my foot isn't broken, only sprained! So I just have to wear a little brace for a few weeks until it gets all healed up. Woohoo for tender mercies!
We went to a lesson with James this week, and he had his little drum thingy out. We got there about five minutes before the member that we were taking with us got there, so we had an impromptu five-minute jam session involving the song "Nearer, My God to Thee", some sick harmonies, and a cool little African drum. I have a sweet video ya'll shall see one day. It was mighty fun.
We were teaching some people about the Plan of Salvation this week. All I can say is it made me so grateful for this gospel and our knowledge of the Plan of Salvation. I've never seen so much confusion about the scriptures before, and it really just opened my eyes to how important modern-day revelation and the Book of Mormon is! They just clarify the Plan so much... I love it :)
We were walking to an appointment this week when we felt prompted to stop and talk to this guy, so we did and he asked us to come back over. When we did, we found out he has a super strong Christian background, but he's in the process of becoming a Rastafarian. We asked him what made him want to make the switch, and the guy has absolutely no idea... he just felt like he wanted to. It made us think that maybe we felt prompted to talk to him because right now he's at such a critical point in his life and he doesn't really realize how big of a mistake he's making. We'll see where he goes but I'm excited to continue teaching him.
We were talking to David this week, and he told us he's afraid to pray about the Book of Mormon because he knows when he gets his answer he'll have to make a lot of changes in his life. After he said that, we all just sat there in silence until he kind of started to grin and said, "Oh. I guess that means I know what answer I'm going to get doesn't it? The Book of Mormon is true, isn't it?" And bam! There was the spirit. Man I love spiritual lessons. :)
Confession: We totally forgot it was valentine's day on Saturday until one of our investigators cancelled a lesson because she had to get her hair done for her date. Oops. Welcome to being a missionary!
Other than that, I found one of my new favorite scriptures this week! Doctrine and Covenants 12:8:
"And no one can assist in this work except he shall be humble and full of love, having faith, hope, and charity, being temperate in all things, whatsoever shall be entrusted to his care."
This scripture was one of those moments for me where it feels like the scriptures have been written just for you. I love the scriptures, and I'm so grateful for the Atonement of Jesus Christ. I've seen this gospel change so many lives in the short time that I've been in the field, and every day I'm just more and more amazed at how true this gospel really is.
Well that's all for now folks. I love you all. Have a splendid week.
xoxoxoxo,
Sister Oman
Brother Malcolm picking some coconuts for us because we were mighty thirsty and hungry while we were out teaching so we decided to have a small snack break.

A school where we cleaned for service this week

This is my ankle brace. My goal is to be as tan as my brace so you can't even tell i'm wearing it. hehe. 

This is what elementary classrooms in Jamaica look like.  


A very blurry picture of me, Emiele, and Shirlette, and Beth! 

Me and Shirlette (I love her), 

Add caption

Sister Davis and Ruth-Ann


Toni and Shirlette! 

Ruth-Ann and Beth. 



No comments:

Post a Comment