Monday, October 20, 2014

Five transfers in the Bahamas!

Sak pase??
So this last week was transfer calls. We were all convinced I would be leaving because I've been in Nassau for 4 transfers  (six months), and nobody really ever stays here for more than six months. But Heavenly Father had other plans and I'll be staying here with Sister Bailey for another transfer! I'm definitely surprised, but I'm glad! I love it here, and I love working with Sister Bailey :) 
This week was pretty uneventful. Just the same old, same old life in the field :)
We spent p-day exploring downtown Nassau a little more... and I fell in love with this island a little more. Everywhere you turn, there's just a new experience, new people to talk to, new sounds, new smells... ahhh I just love it here! This place is definitely becoming a part of me, and while I know I'll have to leave eventually, I'm so glad I get to stay for another month and a half at least :) 
We had a trade-off on Tuesday, and I worked with Sister Dill in her area. Because we all work in the same branch, and the island is so small, I pretty much already knew everyone we worked with so it didn't even really feel like a tradeoff haha. But it was still so fun! I love Sister Dill :) She's a blast. 
Tuesday morning, we went outside during companion study to confirm appointments. (We have to call people from our front porch because we have no reception in our house haha.) We were just chillin on the porch when we noticed that the tire on one of the cars was really stinkin flat. Which meant the four of us spent almost an hour figuring out how to change a tire. It involved a lot of owner's manual reading, a lot of pictures and laughter, and maybe just a little bit more than a lot of dirt. BUT we got the tire changed successfully! Who needs men? Well I mean I guess we do... we need the priesthood and stuff haha :) But the moral of the story is, missions teach you a lot more about life than just the gospel stuff! We're learning awesome things that will help us throughout our entire life :) 
We had an amazing district meeting (as usual) this week. We talked a lot about humility, and I've been studying humility a little bit every morning since then. I've learned so much! I've realized that humility is all about submitting to the will of the Lord and having faith in His timing and His manner of answering prayers. That's definitely something I need to work on, but thankfully I can work on it and get better! I was reading the account of the Savior's time in the Garden of Gethsemane this morning, and I was just struck by how truly humble He was. He was going through the worst pain that anyone has ever experienced, and I'm sure all He wanted was for the pain to be removed. Yet he was still humble enough to tell Heavenly Father that He understood if it wasn't possible for the pain to be taken away. I want to be able to develop that kind of humility... to be going through the worst kind of pain and trial and still have the faith to say "Nevertheless, not as I will, but as thou wilt." It's been quite a struggle for me over the last year or so to let go of the plans that I had for my life and submit to the will of the Lord, but I've seen that as I do so, I'm more blessed than I ever would have been had I not followed the guidance of the Holy Ghost. I know that if we all keep learning how to rely on the Lord and just fully submit our will to His will, we will be able to see more blessings than we ever have before in our lives :) 
We spent approximately fifty kabillion hours in immigration this week filing a bunch of paperwork for work permits. Man I think I've spent half my mission in that place. Everyone knows us, and everyone knows exactly what we do as missionaries haha. I think we've literally talked to every single employee in that building about the gospel with all the time we've spent there. 
In other news, we had like a list of five or so people we've been trying to contact for a week. One of them was someone we were really worried about, and they just weren't picking up or returning our calls or anything... which was very out of character. So we decided to do a little experiment. We blocked our number and called them... and viola! They answered. Ouch. hahah. But I mean at least now we know how to reach people :) Just kidding haha. 
I don't really know what else to talk about this week... like I said, it was pretty uneventful. So please enjoy this lovely quote that I absolutely love!
"We are commanded by God to take this gospel to all the world. Only the gospel will safe the world from the calamity of its own self-destruction. Only the gospel will unite men of all races and nationalities in peace. Only the gospel will bring joy, happiness, and salvation to the human family." -Ezra Taft Benson
Isn't that just lovely! And it's so true! This gospel is a gospel of happiness, peace, and comfort. And it's our duty to share it with everyone in our lives! So let's all get out there, serve a little, share a little, and tell everyone we know about the blessings of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ! 
Have a great week everyone! I love you all! 
xoxoxoxo,
Sister Oman 
Downtown Nassau!

Downtown Nassau!





Some of my favorite places in Nassau



One of my favorite roads on the entire island :) Isn't it beautiful?

Teaching sister bailey how to drive! She's getting so good

The view from the road behind our house... it's no biggie. i just love it here!



Changing a tire!

I learned how!!!



We didn't know how to change a tire at first, so we had to read the owner's manual haha. And we got a wee bit dirty and sweaty. And by a wee bit i mean i've never felt more nasty in my life haha.





Trade off with Sister Dill!

The most beautiful sky in the world!

The church building here

Love these kids!

Arden!  We made her look like the girl from the grinch!

I just fall in love with this island more and more every day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment